knob placement

Subject: knob placement
From: mraz@maverick.aud.alcatel.com (Kris Mraz)
Date: Mon Mar 8 12:43:21 1993

> The whole problem will eventually go away when virtual instrumentation hits
> the ham market. Your transceiver will have no knobs and you can configure
> your software controller however you like. We already do this using a
> software package called LabView with all sorts of instruments and the IEEE
> bus configuration. The radios will be a lot cheaper too!
>
> 73 de Jim, KA6A

I heard Collins did this a number of years ago. Built some PC plug-in
cards to make up a complete HF tranceiver. All radio functions were
software controlled. It put out a few watts to an external PA. No
production, of course.

Kris, AA5UO                     '~ ~`
mraz@rockdal.aud.alcatel.com      L