Pins and Certicicates

Subject: Pins and Certicicates
From: 74660.2606@CompuServe.COM (J.P. Kleinhaus)
Date: Thu Mar 11 19:36:23 1993
I understand what you are saying, but the truth is that a 24 hour category
would probably
kill the 48 hour contest in the long run.  When that happens, K1AR will be
winning the 24
hour category with 10 KW and 18 over 18 (just kidding John).  If there are
4000 logs sent
in to the ARRL for one of the contests, then 26 categories of awards is
hardly overkill.  The
object of the exercise is to increase *participation*; to do this, we must
encourage the casual
ops to stick around and make a few more contatcs.  They won't do this in an
attempt at the "24 Hour
Crown" but they might if it means making 500 Q's and winning a hat or some
such nonsense.
The point that you overlooked though, is that I did not suggest there be a
top-10 box for the best
500 Q's etc.  The structure of awards for competitors should remain the
same, but there should be
many stations that participate for the fun of participating...unless I
missed the point, we want those
stations to stick around "for just a few more minutes".

73 de J.P.
74660.2606@compuserve.com