Billy and the Dead Horse

Subject: Billy and the Dead Horse
From: 71111.260@CompuServe.COM (Hans Brakob)
Date: Fri Mar 19 17:17:32 1993
Hi Doug -

Doug -

Perhaps you're correct, perhaps I'm correct.  Perhaps we're both half
correct.  Perhaps we're both all wet!  Personally I can't imagine the
"real" competitors would be interested in suddenly going to half-time.
They are the real "Masters Players" and their pride, determination,
competitive spriit, and all that stuff wouldn't let them play only 9 holes.

Perhaps I'm beating a dead horse, and the old lady pushed Billy under a
speeding bus.

Interesting that many of the visible opponents also happen to be
current/former CAC reps. As a current CAC rep, with no "top ten" finishes,
a bunch of 2nd/3rd/4th places, a couple of section wins, and a couple of
Division wins, including a Division all time record, I don't have an axe to
grind here.  My support of the idea is in the interest of a balanced flavor
to contesting which continues to recognize the really "top guns", but also
encourages and rewards increased participation by potential "mid level"
players.  While the CAC may well be largely composed of Masters (certainly
a favorable condition - you wouldn't want the PGA rules committee to be
composed of Sunday duffers), it should also look out for the interests of
the "general population" from which tomorrows Masters will come.  The trick
is to not diminish the status and desirability of the current 48-hour
format.

de Hans, K0HB