Field Day - Free VHF/UHF Station

Subject: Field Day - Free VHF/UHF Station
From: GARLOUGH@TGV.COM (Trey Garlough)
Date: Thu Mar 25 11:43:55 1993
The ARRL says:
> An additional 100 bonus points can be earned by qualified
> participants in Field Day for completing at least ten VHF/UHF QSOs
> (excluding packet contacts).

N2IC says:
> I know that the intent of the rule change is to bring no-coders into
> contesting, and other parts of "mainstream" ham radio, but this change is
> of no value outside of the densely populated areas.  Out here, after the
> first 15 minutes of the contest, the VHF/UHF operators will be bored out
> of their minds.

Seems like I read something somewhere suggesting that VHF/UHF operation
is the most crucial part of most emergency communication, therefore it
should play a greater role in Field Day.  I'm willing to buy into this.
However, it sounds like a better implementation would be to offer 100
bonus points for making 15 QSOs on VHF-FM, but zero points for QSOs
made on the "free" station.

Then again, it's Field Day.  Whatever.

--Trey, WN4KKN