"Busted" calls.

Subject: "Busted" calls.
From: oo7@astro.as.utexas.edu (Derek Wills)
Date: Fri Mar 26 17:12:32 1993
I made some tapes of Trey before and during CQWW-cw, when he was
in HC8, and it's interesting to see how some of the busted calls
happen.  None of this is new to most people, I guess, but one
common way is (calls changed to protect the guilty):

Trey:    WN4KKN/HC8

someone: AA4AA (+ 5-10 other people)

Trey:    AA5AA? 599

them:    QSL 599 tu

Trey:    WN4KKN/HC8N

Faced with this, the best ops in the world can't avoid some
"self-busted" calls by the callers.  Sloppy sending by the
callers accounts for some problems:  AA4X is in the log, and
AA4TU sends a QSL card.  These are the same people who tell
you their QTH and their "nag" on cw.

One assumes that people who bust their own calls are going
to do it whoever they are calling, so as long as the top
people are subjected to the same degree of scrutiny, this
cancels out and the most accurate people still win.

If CQWW logs are penalized 10 QSOs for every busted call,
someone who is 99% accurate effectively loses 5 hrs of
operating.  This seems rather extreme to me.

Hmm, not to resurrect another thread, but someone who
operates 24 hrs without busting a call makes the same
score as someone who operates 48 hrs but gets one call
in 20 wrong.   So if you only put in 24 hrs of the thing,
accurate logging will help you to beat the less accurate
of the big guys.  I guess.

Derek aa5bt