Am I missing something?

Subject: Am I missing something?
From: montaguj@CCMSMTP.STPAUL.NCR.COM (John Montague)
Date: Wed Apr 7 19:17:38 1993
>>That is to ensure that all competitive catagories have the same
>>opportunities and chalenges associated with propagation variation
>>throughout the day.
>
>Also in Erics' (K3NA) post he gave the impression that it was important
>that the 24-hr entrants got a taste of all 24 hours of the day.
>
>As long as everyone in the category plays by the same rules, why do we
>care what tribulation or challenges face those in other categories?
>
>Is there a "real" issue I am missing here?
>
>He who figures out how to get the most points, wins.  He who figures
>out the best hours gets the most points.  What is the advantage (to
>whom) of "force feeding" the specific clock hours?
>
>Mayhaps I be dense, but really guys, I don't get the point....  QRZ??
>
>de Hans K0HB

Contests, like all Amateur Radio activities, should first of all be
personally rewarding, i.e., fun.  Second, they should do something to
satisfy the only root rationale for allocating radio spectrum, a scarce
and valuable resource, to Amateur Radio: develop a national resource in
the form of trained radio operators and/or persons skilled in the
technical and practical aspects of the radio art.

One would hope that the first criteria is well served.  However, many of
the comments about a "24 Hour Catagory" demonstrate, rather conclusivly
I might add, that more fun would be had by many if one of the 24 hour
proposals were adopted.

It is the second criteria that drives me to propose, to use your words,
"force feeding the specific clock hours."  Why?

    Operator training:
        Endurance
        Communication in the presence of congestion (QRM)
        Technique (timing, multi-op operations, ...)
    Technical and practical aspects of the radio art:
        Propagation as a function of time-of-day and wavelength
        Station design & location for a BIG signal
        Use of receiver features to enhance reception (may belong above)

    and others

At least the first item under each heading develops "skills in the radio
art."  Also, it provides a scored playing ground for those aspiring to
be serious competitors in the full 48 hour contest, something the random
any 24 of 48 hour format does not achieve as well.

For the casual participant, the catagory is not important (other than
perhaps QRP) as they are not competitive participants.  If we are to
have a new scored catagory, e.g., 24 hour, lets keep the rules simple
and preserve as much as possible of the full 48 hour contest.

These are the points I believe were missed.  What say you, Eric?

John
W0RUE