Phone Procedures

Subject: Phone Procedures
From: pescatore_jt%ncsd.dnet@gte.com (pescatore_jt%ncsd.dnet@gte.com)
Date: Wed Apr 14 15:15:47 1993
I agree with Steve, during JA runs it is often faster to continue to spew back
the full phonetics than to only say the call. You also have to use the same
phonetics and say ZANZIBAR if the JA used that and not switch to ZULU, etc.

During EU runs, switching to the call only works great, also seems to cut down
on the number of interlopers:

ME: CQ CONTEST WB2EKK
DX: DELTA LIMA NINE RADIO UNITED
ME: DL9RU 59 MARYLAND
DX: 59 100
ME THANKS QRZ WB2EKK

Instead of:

ME: CQ CONTEST WB2EKK
DX: DELTA LIMA NINE RADIO UNITED
ME: DELTA LIMA 9 RADIO UNITED 59 MARYLAND
DL9RU: 59 100
IK8RRQ: WHISKY BAKER 2 ECHO KILO KILO THIS IS ITALY KILO NUMBER 8 ...
I2UUU: 59 keelowatt
SP9URR: NO RADIO UNITED, UNITED RADIO, UNITED RADIO, SUGAR PAPA 9 ...

etc...

The online conversion to letters from phonetics was one of the first things I
mastered that helped my phone rate. The JA phenomena is accurate, though, more
from politeness than from lack of english skills, I think. We have all seen if
you send back one wrong letter no one replies on a JA run. Fred K3ZO's hobby is
reading the JA callbook sections and figuring out which prefix is the best to
send if you are running JAs at the ESP level and don't have a clue who came
back.

On the busted call return I try to do this:

ME: CQ CONTEST WB2EKK
DX: IN4KKN
ME: I4KKN 59 MARYLAND
DX: NO,NO,NO IN4KKN ITALY NAPOLI 4 KKN 59 5 WATTS, QRP YOU KNOW
ME: ITALY NANCY 4, THANKS QRZ WB2EKK

If I didn't totally hose up the call, repeating just the new info seems to work
pretty well. I agree you have to indicate at least what is changed. Just saying
thanks - the same as if you were right the first time - isn't enough.

John WB2EKK
PESCATORE_JT@NCSD.GTE.COM