May Sprint

Subject: May Sprint
From: n2ic@bighorn.dr.att.com (n2ic@bighorn.dr.att.com)
Date: Tue Apr 20 08:43:46 1993
I like the idea of having a Sprint during a different time of day/year than
the current September/February.  To be quite honest, the current Sprint
contest has become boring.  There just aren't any alternative strategies
to be tried - you start the contest on 20, spend 1 to 1.5 hours on 20,
move to 40 until 0300Z to 0315Z, and then go to 80. Maybe a few quick
trips to 20 for mults, but basically ho hum.

It may take a few tries to come up with a "fair" 4 hour block, that doesn't
handicap any region (sorry KL7, anything we come up with handicaps you !),
but even the current Sprints used to start an hour later than they currently
do.

On the down side, it's too bad a new Sprint wasn't started 4 years ago.
At this point in the sunspot cycle, we are really being squeezed between
low MUF and high absorption.  15 meters in May is going to start to sound
a lot like 10 meters during the August NAQP.

Let's see....what's a "fair" 4 hour block in May for a 15/20/40 meter
contest ?  How about 2200Z to 0200Z ?  Or for something really different,
1000Z to 1400Z ?  An AM Sprint may not fly, because 15 meters is often
"slow" to open in the summer AM.

How about it N6TR ?  Let's try it next year (unless you think you can
get word out fast enough to try it this year).

Steve, N2IC/0