The Morality Issue

Subject: The Morality Issue
From: 72610.1361@CompuServe.COM (TOM TAORMINA)
Date: Fri Apr 30 08:36:43 1993
It's interesting to see the contest morality issue boiling once again. I
read anger and frustration into many of the messages (and the
existence of UFO's and we are unwilling to admit that we aren't the
only intelligent life in the universe.
As a whole, contesters are competitors in life. We are aggressive,
intelligent and full of energy. A smaller segment uses contesting as a
diversion and a means to compete without the formality and physical
constraints of organized sports. An even smaller minority are social
misfits who have no life outside the radio. Each contester is armed with
the ethical fibre that is comfortable to them. For some, coming home
and finding that you've left a company pen in your brief case is a real
problem, until the next day when it can be returned. For others, pens,
pads, copy machines and phone lines are perks of the job. For some,
competitive success has no meaning unless they are squeaky clean. For
others, who get a bit creative on their income taxes, insurance claims
and speed limits, "pushing the envelope" is just part of being a
competitor. For a very few (fortunately), the ends justify the means. I
was told once, by a QROO'er, that the added power made up for his
inexperience in SS and that, as soon as his proficiency improved, he
would turn down the smoke.
Where do each of us fit in those categories? As long as our society is
based on individual freedom for everyone, we are going to deal with
these ethical dilemmas in every phase of life. Do we "de-regulate" so
that there is no cheating? Do we send an observer to sit with each
participant who plans to win an award?
Until we find out the truth about UFO's, lets keep the pressure on our
peers who are pushing the envelope past what is acceptable to the
majority. Your local radio club is the ideal vehicle for that, except that
the real offenders seldom show up for meetings. One caveat; I would
not confront anyone with accusations unless there is a pile of iron clad
evidence and you are ready to face slander charges. I suggest that we
each set the example of sportsmanship that we want our peers to follow.
We only learn by example, folks. I personally would like to see single
op defined as "one person operating a radio station." Period. That
would get rid of a lot of the current controversy while we all learn how
to live and work together.
73 and DX,
Tom, K5RC