WA8LLY - 100w contesting

Subject: WA8LLY - 100w contesting
From: hwardsil@seattleu.edu (Ward Silver)
Date: Thu May 20 13:18:33 1993
de Ward, N0AX
The point is well-made that there are contesters and there are casual partici-
pants with grossly different goals.  We need to encourage both, and it will
take different techniques.  I would like to hear from the other contest clubs
as to what sort of internal (infernal?) competitions and recognitions they
sponsor.  LCCC (Left Coast Contest Club) is just getting rolling again, but
we have travelling trophy-like-objects and regular score reporting with records
noted.  I, too, would like to see more analysis and less overview in the score
reporting, but realize that editorial pressures and resource limits make that
difficult.  Would it be possible for the total scores to be 'loaned' to an en-
terprising analyzer for write-up in NCJ about the same time as the official
results are printed?  In that way, the serious contesters could have the
analysis
and the magazines can satisfy their editorial requirements.

I don't think it`s going to bother the casuals if the high-rollers play in the
100w sandbox...although it might raise a few eyebrows amongst the serious low-
power crew.  I mean, who's going to notice the difference in W0UN's signal on
ten meters when it drops from s9+30 to s9+20?  He's still going to be the first
guy you work and the last one you hear. (an incredible antenna performance, by
the way...)

See you Saturday night!
Ward