Golf Handicaps

Subject: Golf Handicaps
From: alan@dsd.es.com (Alan Brubaker)
Date: Mon May 24 11:09:30 1993
Years ago, I used to bowl in "handicap" leagues. At that time, there were
two kinds of leagues that you could join - handicap and scratch. The scratch
leagues were for the better bowlers with high averages who would have a
handicap of near 0 in a handicap league. There were usually a few "sandbaggers"
around in the handicap leagues - these people would purposely roll low scores
when the opportunity presented itself - particularly early in the season when
the score would have more influence on their running average. I have not bowled
in a league in a long time, so I do not know what the rules are these days.
Even in the handicap leagues, the best players still won the prize money, and
the sandbaggers usually did not do that well, so the handicap was not so much
of an equalizer, especially late in the season.

Alan

alan@dsd.es.com