DXCC checking in Newington

Subject: DXCC checking in Newington
From: sawyer@twg.com (Bruce Sawyer)
Date: Wed Jul 28 11:06:11 1993
>I was recently made aware that cards can be checked in person in Newington.
>Does anyone know if there is a limit on how many cards can be checked?  I
>have been putting off applying for DXCC for 25 years, and now with
>everything on computer and being handled faster I'd like to get it done.
>
>Specifically, I want to apply for DXCC/Honor Roll with 337 countries (mixed
>and phone;
>top of honor roll), 5BDXCC, and my initial 40 M application with about
>250 countries.  I don't want to mail 1087 cards there, but will probably be
>there on business soon and thought I'd have the cards done while
>I was in the area.  Also, I am concerned that there may be some confusion
>with some of my deletions (i.e., P29 Papua vs P29 New Guinea) with
>the card checkers and want to get it done right the first time.
>
>Any info would be appreciated!
>
>73, Tom WB4IUX

I don't see why you should be afraid to mail them in.  The DXCC desk acquired a
terrible reputation over the last few years, but I honestly believe the basis
for
that reputation has been corrected and people haven't yet recognized it.  In
June I
sent in a huge stack of cards--over 600 of them, many documenting multiple
contacts.
There was enough there for (and I did apply for) 5-band DXCC, endorsements for
both
Mixed and CW, plus new applications for 80, 40, 10, and Phone.  It took them
exactly
8 working days from the time they received my box until I had the results back
in my
hands.  It took me more time to check their results and make sure there were no
mistakes (and there weren't) than it took the DXCC people to enter the data.
That's
just a fantastic change from what we have been used to seeing there.  I think
we all
need to acknowledge the improvements they have made and give Chuck and his
people
the credit due.  Let's wipe the slate clean and forget the past!