K2MM Phone NAQP Score

Subject: K2MM Phone NAQP Score
From: K2MM@MasPar.COM (K2MM@MasPar.COM)
Date: Sun Aug 22 03:25:23 1993
K2MM (John, CA) 'phone North American QSO Party score:

     b    q    m
    80   30   11
    40   69   30
    20   77   32
    15   10    8
        ---  ---
        186 * 81 = 15,066 (6 hrs)

Only rarely did the R-7 vertical out-play the DX-CC multi-band dipole,
so 85% of the contest was operated on the dipole.  (I noticed the same
thing in the August Internet SprINT.)  Still amazed at being able to
call CQ barefoot and often get a good rate, especially on 20m.

Blew off the first six hours wondering if I was really interested in a
phone contest.  Had lots fo fun once I jumped in.  Didn't notice any 80m
activity until the last hour (0500Z), so I'm glad I took off-time up
front.  (Ken/WM2C had guessed that the last 1-1/2 hours would be ripe
for off-time because he'd noticed activity drying up about that time in
the CW NAQP a couple of weeks ago, also operating from here in CA.)
Fighting 80m QRN was tough.  Heard K9XR and KM2P CQ'ing, but couldn't
attract their attention.  Almost the same for VE4VV, but managed to snag
Derrick just before the end.  Lee/KB4SRE in KY sure had good 80m ears.
Award for best 80m signal here in San Jose goes to Rich/KI3V in Reno.

Bummer:  Just figured out that the CW NA Sprint next month happens in
the middle of the VHF QSO Party.  I expect to be operating with the
W2SZ/1 gang on Mt. Greylock in WMass/FN32.  Hmmm, maybe I should pack
the TS-440 and think about throwing a wire in the trees Saturday night.
It'll make operating the graveyard shift on 432 afterwards seem like a
piece of cake!  73.  --John/K2MM