Dual-Driven DissimilarAntennas

Subject: Dual-Driven DissimilarAntennas
From: Ken_Silverman_at_Wiget_Lane@atlas.ccmail.PacTel.COM (Ken_Silverman_at_Wiget_Lane@atlas.ccmail.PacTel.COM)
Date: Fri Oct 22 13:49:20 1993
While getting ready for the SS and CQWW, I have received a suggestion to drive
2 antennas in different directions to increase coverage.  The only way I can do
this is by driving 2 antennas that are different sizes or types.  For example,
for the SS I will be using a 5 ele 20m yagi on one tower, and a 3 ele 20m yagi
on a different tower.

Can these two dissimilar antennas, on different towers, be dual driven such
that one antenna faces west and the other faces north?  I have searched my
antenna library, which includes most of the antenna "bibles", but I didn't find
any references to combining dissimilar antennas.  Everything I found referenced
balanced and equal antennas with specific phasing requirements.

Does anyone have suggestions for combining dissimilar antennas as I have
described?  Do the antennas have to be mono band, or can you combine a
tribander and a monoband yagi for similar results?  Will a simple T-connector
and random coax lengths to the antenna suffice?  Or do I need other types of
power splitters and balanced lines?

Your suggestions would be most appreciated.

Best Regards and Happy Contesting,

Ken, WM2C/6