Fast SS Check

Subject: Fast SS Check
From: ka9fox@aol.com (ka9fox@aol.com)
Date: Thu Nov 11 14:04:44 1993
Edward parish said:

> Gee, and I thought that some ops sent a ck of 55
> because it was faster.  ;^)

Am I the only person that DID sign 55 just cause it was fast??  I forgot the
station owner's (W9UP) year of license, so I just made one up!  ..... .....

- Scott KA9FOX @ aol.com

From: draperbl <draperbl@smtplink.mdl.sandia.gov> (draperbl)
Subject: AA5B  CW SS, multi-op

OK, I think I finally have a reliable connection to the reflector (it's been
read-only for over a month), so here are our CW SS notes.  Family commitments,
soccer matches, volleyball tournaments, and stations in disrepair forced Scott,
Ray, and me into yet another multi-op this year from Ray's station.  I'm
certainly not complaining about the company -- the three of us have always been
a good team -- but we're all getting a little antsy for single-opping again.

AA5B multi-op  (+ K5TA and K9RS), New Mexico
                  Scott     Ray

    1501/77   231k

Station: TS850/930, DTR2000
         KT34XA @ 65', KT34A @ 50', CC 2-el 40 @ 75'
         (multi-band dipole used on second radio)

Last sections worked: Maine (!) and Yukon,  both Sunday morning on 20 meters.

Zero QSOs on 10m, <100 on 80m, <200 on 15m.  I'm not sure what kind of antenna
we'd need in order to be more successful on 15m, but whatever it is we didn't
have it.  Very disappointing, very bizarre condx.  W8s were 30-over-9 all day
Sunday on that band, but everyone else was weak and fluttery.

               Bruce  AA5B

From: Fred Hopengarten" <k1vr%k1vr@uunet.uu.net (Fred Hopengarten)
Subject: Coaxial Stub Filtering

On Wed, 10 Nov 1993 17:47:27 -0400 (EDT), delphi.com!KWIDELITZ wrote:
If Radio A is on 40 and Radio B is on
> 15, will the 40 meter stub absorb some of the 15 meter transmitted
> signal?

K1VR:  If you mean:  Will the 40 meter stub on the 40 meter radio lower the
output of the 15 meter radio on 15, the answer is NO.

Can the stub be coiled up?

K1VR:  Yes. No harm.

Can I use RG-58 for the stub?

K1VR:  Yes, but it has higher losses than hardline or RG-213, which will
cost you in terms of power output.  It may also melt when you give it 1500
watts at 21 MHz.

Does it matter how far from Radio B the stubs get Tee'd in?

K1VR:  As close to the amplifier as you can get it is best.  Next best:
Somewhere close to the amplifier.  If you put a second stub on for
additional attenuation, best is 1/4 wave later, but it will help even if
just one barrel later.

Good luck.
                      Fred Hopengarten K1VR
           Six Willarch Road * Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
     home + office telephone:  617/259-0088 (FAX on demand)
"Big antennas, high in the sky, are better than small ones, low."

From: Steve Merchant <merchant@crl.com> (Steve Merchant)
Subject: Looking for Seat -- CQWW CW

My previous plans have come undone.  Looking for a seat at a MS or MM
operation for CQWW CW.  I have competitive radios and computer(s) if
needed.  Would like to stay in N. Calif., but will travel under the
right circumstances.  Call me at (415) 496-7349 day, (415) 346-2424 eve,
or leave note here: merchant@crl.com.  Thanks -- Steve N4TQO.

From: Takao Kumagai <je1cka@asuka.aerospace-lab.go.jp> (Takao Kumagai)
Subject: JIDX mult list

If you need the JIDX multiplier reference list
Number-call area-prefecture, I'll send it to you.

N6TR LOG V4.02 supports the JIDX. CT does not support the contest
but you can log the data in DX'pedition mode or AA DX contest.

From: Steve Merchant <merchant@crl.com> (Steve Merchant)
Subject: SS CW Score

My first SS in almost 30 years -- last time was '67 as W6EMS.  3.8
hours, 20 and 15 only.  Lots of activity, incredible scores from the tall
dogs, as usual.  N4TQO B 56 SF = 213 x 57 = 24,282.

Equipment:  IC-781, IC-4KL, small tribander @ 40' (QTH W6OTC).  Apologies
for the rotten fist -- used a 203 year old Vibroplex paddle and a very
backleveled version of CT -- 6.something -- couldn't get computer to key
xmtr properly.  (I must get Glenn's station up to date.)

Thanks for the Q's everyone.

From: Randy A Thompson <K5ZD@world.std.com> (Randy A Thompson)
Subject: Multi-Single Contest Ethics

Really disappointing to hear a WW Committee member engage in such an
ethically questionable activity.

The VHF contests have stomped out these artificial contacts by permitting
only one call sign per radio!  I'm all for the same rule in HF contesting.

Randy, K5ZD

From: Randy A Thompson <K5ZD@world.std.com> (Randy A Thompson)
Subject: Two-radio operation in SS -- legal?

The CAC's "intent" in writing the rule
>   "The use of two or more transmitters simultaneously is not allowed."
was to prevent a station transmitting two signals at the same time (e.g.
calling CQ on two bands at same time).  Nothing more exotic or
complicated was intended.

Randy, K5ZD

From: Randy A Thompson <K5ZD@world.std.com> (Randy A Thompson)
Subject: CQ WW Phone Score K5ZD

The best Phone contest there is - the big WW!