More Rotator discussion

Subject: More Rotator discussion
From: EDWOODS@PACTIME1.SDCRC.PacBell.COM (EDWOODS@PACTIME1.SDCRC.PacBell.COM)
Date: Mon Jan 24 08:38:12 1994
SORRY, SOMEHOW THIS THING TOOK A WRONG TURN ON THE INFO SUPERHIGHWAY!!
IT'S NOW A COUPLE OF DAYS OLD AND PROBABLY NOT IN VOUGUE AT THE MOMENT.
BUT...............AT LEAST IT'S NOT THE STANDARD N4BO JUNK

ERIC, NV6O

Well...........

We've done a couple of things here in the Sacramento Area to compensate
for long control cable runs.

At the Pacific Bell Emergency Operating Center in Sacramento, we had a
350 foot run from the shack to the top of the tower (65 ' pole).  We
doubled up on the rotor cable at the transition point from black
polyethelene coated hardline to the grey pvc flammability rated stuff -
about half way.  Worked good.

At W6GO, Jay has one tower in the back 40 about 600 feet from shack.
Jay designed a remote relay operation with some compensating resistance
in the indicator loop.  He supplied 110 to the base of the tower and did
the switching of the 24AC there.  Also, the start cap can be mounted on
a tower leg at working level.  This will eliminate the extra 2 wires
from the control box and also the climb (and re-climb) to change it if
its mounted in the rotator itself.

New subject in this area of interest.

Anyone have experience with damaged rotator control cable when the tower
is loaded for 160 or 80?  I think (in fact, I know) that I'm
experiencing a very large power transfer from the tower to my control
cable when using that configuration.  I've burned out an indicator pot
in the 400 roto-brake box.  K6SG has flashed through from the wires (in
the telephone company, we call them pairs) to the tower.

Any suggested mitigation techniques?  I've thought of toroids at top and
bottom or relays at top and bottom to switch all conductors to tower
ground through a resistor (current limiting?) during Xmit on low bands.

Also available to receive any Hy-gain 400 roto brake parts. It's an
oldie.

Eric NV6O
edwoods@pacbell.com