NA CW & Keyer Interface Problem

Subject: NA CW & Keyer Interface Problem
From: WR3O@isd2.tdec.state.tn.us (WR3O@isd2.tdec.state.tn.us)
Date: Wed Feb 9 17:15:56 1994
I have been testing a copy of NA to see if I can get it to work
with my existing station setup.  I have been having the following
problem with the CW interface, and would appreciate any suggestions.

My HF rig is an Icom 761.  I have hooked up the standard CW keying
interface via the parallel port, and it seems to work just fine.
I can use NA to send the exchanges, and use the keyboard in "keyer"
mode without any problems.

The IC 761 has one key jack (unlike the 765).  The key jack is a
1/4 inch plug that can accept a squeeze key directly for iambic
keying.  Tip, ring, and sleeve (ground) are used for dot, dash, and
common, respectively.  To use a straight key or external keyer, it
is necessary to use a stereo plug, but only use the tip and sleeve
(ground), leaving the ring unconnected.

The challenge is that I want to have use of the paddle and the keyboard
simultaneously during a contest.  I want to be able to switch to the
paddle quickly to send something not stored in a function key, etc.

On the IC-761, the paddle is only effective when the "ELEC-KEY"
switch in IN; the external keying line (from NA) only works right when
the "ELEC-KEY" switch is OUT.  This is the only way to make it work
with the paddle and keyer wired in parallel (as far as I can tell).

The problem is that I must constantly toggle the ELEC-KEY switch to
switch between the paddles and NA.  Imagine trying to do this under
contest conditions, and you'll see what I am getting at.  It is not
acceptable, and makes for lots of errors.

I then learned that NA had an iambic keyer built right into the program.
I thought that this would be the solution.  I wired up the paddles to
the parallel port according to the instructions, and it did not work.
The rig would randomly go into long strings of iambic dah-dit-dah-dits...
for many seconds, stop intermittently, then continue on with more random
iambic strings.  Bottom line here is that the keyer does not seem to
work correctly.  Note that keyer and key line are both on the parallel
port in this configuration, as serial ports are used up for rig control
and PacketCluster.  Different pins are used for the keyer and key line.

The big question -- has anybody successfully hooked up the IC 761 to
NA and paddles simultaneously?  Any suggestions would be gratefully
appreciated.  I will post the solution if/when I find it.  Thanks.

73, Kirk  WR3O   ( WR3O@isd2.tdec.state.tn.us )