contest qsl cards

Subject: contest qsl cards
From: kl7ra@icefog.gcgo.nasa.gov (Gilmore Creek Geophysical Observatory)
Date: Fri Feb 11 11:49:42 1994
Because KL7 is needed for WAS, DXCC, WAZ, and other awards and
because my call is used in the contests that we are multi-multi, I
receive thousands and thousands and thousands of qsl cards. They
never stop coming in. I receive cards every day of the week. The
qsl bureau in Anchorage has a pigeon hole for everyone but me. I
have a crate. I have done everything to try and keep up. It seems
at times an impossible task. I just read where someone was amused
that people would hire someone to do their contest cards. I have
hired people for years. Four high school kids and a W4MPY four
thousand card box will last a weekend. And the pile never gets any
smaller.

All this from a kid who would run home from school every day in the
early sixties to see if I had any cards in the mail. There was a
time I loved qsl cards. I liked to look through them and collect
them for DXCC. Now all I see is the bureau boxes (thousand cards
per) stacked up waiting to be answered. Always waiting. Never
ending.

But what a great idea. OH2BVE mention of sending back bureau cards
with a qso valid stamp. I like it. Can we do it? Will ARRL except
these cards for DXCC? I never thought of this before. Qsl cards
could have a return qso valid box for a signature or something.
Then non-contesters could qsl via the bureau having a better then
ever chance of getting a card. And if they wanted the station card
they could go direct as always.

Rich  KL7RA      KL7RA@ICEFOG.GCGO.NASA.GOV