Phasing_Tribanders_Replies

Subject: Phasing_Tribanders_Replies
From: barry@w2up.wells.com (barry@w2up.wells.com)
Date: Sun Feb 20 14:56:39 1994
Here is original message I posted and (edited) replies received:

I'm considering adding a second TH7 half-way up my 75 ft tower,
and phasing them. I'd appreciate any comments on the following:
1. Pros/cons of DX Engineering universal phasing box
2. Specifics on using the TH7 with a TIC RING rotor (from what I've
   heard the matching network gets in the way at the attachment site.
   Also, how do you support the boom truss with this rotor?
3. Is "polarity" of the balun an issue? What I mean is it possible
   have one balun 180 out of phase with the other if the windings
   or connections are consistent between the two of them. (Pardon
   my ignorance on the workings of the balun)

Any comments appreciated. 73 de Barry

Barry N. Kutner, W2UP       Usenet/Internet: barry@w2up.wells.com
Newtown, PA                 Packet Radio: W2UP @ WB3JOE.#EPA.PA.USA.NA
                            Packet Cluster: W2UP >K2TW (FRC)

I'm considering adding a second TH7 half-way up my 75 ft tower,
and phasing them. I'd appreciate any comments on the following:
1. Pros/cons of DX Engineering universal phasing box

I've used the DX Eng boxes extensively at AA6TT and K9RS (and
help maintain the station at K9RS).  They're very well built,
reliable, easy-to-use, etc.  Only failure was after a direct
lightning hit last year (also took out about $5k of electronics).

Note:
If you don't need the A/B/both options and don't mind keeping the
antennas always in parallel, DX engineering will sell you just the
matching transformer for about $40.

Good luck.
   Bruce  AA5B
Barry, you may want to talk to Don Binkley, N4ZZ. He is not on internet but his
home phone number is (615) 883-8111.  He has a 95' Rohn 45 tower with a pair of
phased TH-7s. The lower one is fed via phasing box and is rotated using a TIC
ring-rotor.  His set-up works pretty well based on results.  He just put it up
within the past 2-3 years and probably could answer a lot of your questions.

                                        73,  Mark  K0EJ
Barry -

I have two TH7's at 86 and 54 and they work substantially better than the top
one alone.  Filling in the elevation lobes on 15 and 10 made the difference
between having one good hour to EU on each band and having pileups all day.
Obviously my 10 meter experience is limited but 15 was phenomenal in the CQWW,

The ring rotor is very nice.  I have only had it up one winter but it appears
that my solution to mounting the truss and matching system seems to work.  I
can draw it if you want.  I think that Todd at TIC has another scheme as well.

The balun phasing is important and I scrapped the BN-86's.

73, Tom
georgens@emc.com or w2sc@emc.com

1. Pros/cons of DX Engineering universal phasing box

I would like to hear about the responses to this one.

2. Specifics on using the TH7 with a TIC RING rotor (from what I've
   heard the matching network gets in the way at the attachment site.
   Also, how do you support the boom truss with this rotor?

Supporting the boom truss is easy.  Buy a muffler clamp and a piece of
2 or 3 foot angle iron.  Drill 2 holes in the angle iron to fit the
muffler clamp.  Attach muffler clamp to boom and thru the angle iron holes.
Support the truss from the top end of the angle iron.

3. Is "polarity" of the balun an issue? What I mean is it possible
   have one balun 180 out of phase with the other if the windings
   or connections are consistent between the two of them. (Pardon
   my ignorance on the workings of the balun)

Yes polarity is an issue !  Watch out.  You may have to run your baluns thru
an x-ray machine to determine which terminal is which.  I suspect you can find
an x-ray machine to use for this purpose.

I would like a copy of the answers you receive, since I am planning on
phasing KT-34XA's this spring (65 ft and 115 ft).

73,
Steve, N2IC/0

Yes, polarity of balun is important.

Are you doing this so you can be 3 db louder or so you can be in two
directions at once?  Obviously if the antennas will be pointing different
directions, exact phasing is less of an issue.

I use two antennas that are on different towers and make no attempt at
phase matching.  I use a separate amp for each one and do the power splitting
at the output of the rig.  Some relays are used to determine if I am
20 db over in Japan, or 20 db over in Europe, or 17 db over in both.
(My exciter is a TS-850S and when half of it's drive goes to each amp,
each amp runs half power).  The power splitting is easier to do when you
are dealing with 50 Ohm amplifier inputs than unknown antenna impedances.

You may not be able to apply this to your application, but I thought I
would share it with you.  I find in a contest having the flexibility of
two directions is a much more important factor than having a couple
extra db in one direction.

Good luck with your installation!!

Tree N6T
oops N6TR

hi barry. just wanted to pass along my method for supporting the
boom truss.  hygain sez attach a clamp to the mast for the truss.
my system is to get a 4 ft length of punched out angle iron, the
kind you can get at the hardware store that has a bunch of
oval holes punched in it, and attach that to the boom to mast
clamp. i truss up the boom before i even raise the antenna.
with this system the truss is independant of the mast, so it will
work ok i think with the tie.  73, walt, w0cp

Hope this info is of benefit. 73 Barry W2UP