Black Abyss

Subject: Black Abyss
From: ka9fox@aol.com (ka9fox@aol.com)
Date: Thu Mar 31 10:12:47 1994
VE6SH writes:
  > It's even worse from VE8, VE6 and VE5 given
  > the lack of an natural ground as well as
  > other quirks.

And you operate QRP from there?!?!  Hey Danny, talk to this guy!  :-)

73 Scott KA9FOX

"Life's too short for QRP" - K7SS
"I'm too short for QRO!" - KA9FOX (5'3")

From: fhmoore@nemed.b11.ingr.com (frank moore) (frank moore)
Subject: single/multi

Everyone seems to have an opinion about the single/multi issue. Usually that
would be a sure fire reason for me not to. Ahh... an exception. Anyway, my
opinion is that the rules should be written so that most of the ops will be
able to compete in an enjoyable and meaningful way (I can't help it, it's my
liberal upbringing).

I don't think that it is reasonable to restrict the classes so that there is
no room for innovation. I suspect that for many people there is just as much
fun in finding a way just to increase their score as there is in winning. And
I bet that it is much more fun if it is a way that no one else is using or has
thought of yet. If you can win and no one else is doing it... Wow!

On the other hand, I can sympathize with the ops that say that they can't
compete successfully if the investment in time and money has to be all
consuming to get there. Just telling these ops "thats tough, live with it" may
be satisfying but I think the end result is just fewer competitors.

So what do we do? Well it seems to me that we maintain some diversity in the
types of classes. I don't mean that we create a class for everyone. Just the
opposite. We let ARRL and CQWW have different rules for what constitutes
single, multi and multi-multi. (Seems like we were just discussing this).
Sometimes there is a class that is less restrictive and you can innovate
and sometimes there are classes where the contest measures how well people
can do mostly the same thing.

This already happens to some extent. I tend to operate low power, domestic
contests. I don't have the time or money right now to have as much fun doing
single op dx contests and north Alabama is a wasteland for big contest
stations. So I guess my opinion is "what's all the fuss?", enjoy the diversity.

I was confused about one point of contention in the argument though. I can't
see how you are not consuming more bandwidth if you are CQing on 2 different
frequencies. If I am running a frequency on 20m with my little one radio
station, I can guarantee that another op can CQ on any other frequency on any
band and I won't want to run him/her off that frequency. I'm not consuming 2
frequencies, time division multiplexing aside, at one time. I'm NOT saying that
using more bandwidth is a valid argument for restricting an operating class but
it probably reduces the effectiveness of the rebuttal to deny what seems to be
pretty obvious.

                        Frank, KE4GY
                        "boy, when I have an opinion..."
                        fhmoore@ingr.com