FT-1000 RX Audio (lack thereof)

Subject: FT-1000 RX Audio (lack thereof)
From: AC1O@delphi.com (AC1O@delphi.com)
Date: Tue Apr 5 20:21:16 1994
>IMHO, the Yaesu FT-1000D RX audio into a pair of headphones stinks!!
>
>73, J. P. AA2DU

I agree.  When I first got my FT-1000, I was shocked at how little audio
gain it had, but thought it was just a mismatch with the Radio Shack
headphones I was using.  $55 later, I had myself a pair of Yaesu YH-77ST
headphones -- but they made only a minimal improvement.  The radio had to
specifically called this situation to Yaesu's attention.  Their response:
"The audio level via head phones is normal".

C'mon, guys; I've spent years crawling into receivers to pull weak signals
out of the noise, and this ain't "normal" -- certainly not for a radio in
this price/performance class.  Further, I don't think "hooking up a small
stereo amp to the headphones" (K0GU's solution) is an acceptable way to
deal with the problem; you shouldn't have to hook up extra boxes and wires
to a radio in this class to get "normal" performance out of it.  (One can
but dream what Drake would have done with the technology in the '1000. . .)

73 de Walt, AC1O/4