No subject

Subject: No subject
From: ral@tre-vta.valmet.com (ral@tre-vta.valmet.com)
Date: Mon Apr 25 14:04:14 1994
SIGNOFF

>From K2ZJ <JVCARIOTI@c5vr.syr.ge.com>  Mon Apr 25 13:03:06 1994
From: K2ZJ <JVCARIOTI@c5vr.syr.ge.com> (K2ZJ)
Subject: SS results

Saw the SS results in QST.  I just have two words: SENSORY OVERLOAD!

Listing the scores by division resulted in long and continuous columns of calls
with no breaks.  My eyeballs were glazed over after 5 minutes.

I'd like to see sectional listings instead.  Listing in this manner allows
the typed page to be broken up so that it is not so overwhelming to the reader.
It also gives recognition to the 77 winners in each category without adding
any additional boxes.

A comment about the new boxes.  In an effort to recognize more scores, have
we gone too far?

On page one of the results, there are 80 calls listed in the top ten box.
Page 2 has 200 calls listed in the regional boxes.  Page 3 had 136 calls
listed as plaque winners.  Page 4 had another 200 calls listed as club
winners.

Obviously the top ten guys (and the top five regional guys) are listed on
several pages.

Although the regional boxes opened up a lot of spots for guys who might not
have otherwise been listed, it seems like all the boxes just gave the top
scorers more print.

I am happy that the ARRL is willing to change the results format in response
to public opinion.  However, it appears that they have not followed a very
basic rule- when experimenting with somehting to see how a change will
effect the outcome, only ONE variable at a time should be changed.  Otherwise,
you never know which change affected which outcome for better or worse.
The ARRL changed 2 or 3 variables at once- the outcome of the experiment is
now not so clear.

See you all at Dayton.

John, K2ZJ