FT-1000 Headphone Audio

Subject: FT-1000 Headphone Audio
From: Waltk@PICA.ARMY.MIL (Waltk@PICA.ARMY.MIL)
Date: Tue May 17 14:22:13 1994
W0UN writes:

>The FT-1000 seems to drive the Yaesu headphones adequately, but not the
>Heil and I think it is a function of both headphone impedance and
>efficiency.

I measured the impedance (DC resistance) of the stock headphone elements
in the Pro Set and found them to be about 390 ohms. I requested a new pair,
as the audio for this ole deaf rocker was a bit low.  Heil happily sent me
the 16 ohm units, gratis. Thats what I call custromer service! They were
retrofitting the phones being returned at that time (last month) with the
16 ohm units.  The sweet gal on the telephone told me that they were ordering
1000, 8 ohm units and they were due in soon. I measured the impedance of the
new elements & found them to be around 32 ohms I guess they achieve 16 ohms
when the phone elements are driven in parallel, as is the case with most rigs.
I believe the FT-1000 uses a stereo amp, hence each channel looks into 32 ohms.
Anyway, the audio from the 765 is now Okay, not ear splitting, but since the
pads tend to cancel the noise in the shack its ample.

Since the mike element is designed to be close talked, a neat addition to
headset would be a wind-screen.  A friend who attended Dayton this year,
asked Mr. Heil if such an animal existed and was he told it does not.
I got rid of the pop-poping by fashioning a wind screen from some foam
packing material. Now, I have one heck of a headset!

73 de Walt - K2WK - waltk@pica.army.mil