IARU Contest and Low Sunspots

Subject: IARU Contest and Low Sunspots
From: Steven.M.London@att.com (Steven.M.London@att.com)
Date: Wed Jun 29 14:03:00 1994
Here comes a pep talk about the IARU RS contest - despite the lack of sunspots.

For the 1986 contest, the flux was 72 - just about the same as now.  The
A-index was also quite low - around 5 if I recall correctly.

Despite the lack of sunspots, summertime QRN, summertime propagation, and
being geographically challenged, I had a GREAT time.  20 meters was fantastic -
the OH's were there for the entire 24 hours, and we had great EU runs, except
for about 4 hours during the middle of the day.
On 15, I worked all EU zones - probably
a combination of multi-hop sporadic-E and F layer, as well as JA, South Pacific,
and, of course, South America.  10 provided all the USA and Canadian zones,
as well as some Caribbean and Central America.  Once the QRN died down
around 09Z, 40 meters was FB to JA.  At sunrise, 80 provided JA, UA0, VK
and ZL QSO's.  I ended up with around 1400 QSO's (all CW) and 110 zones.
Not bad for the bottom of the cycle !

Instead of whining about how bad the IARU RS contest will be, get on and have
some fun !

Steve London, N2IC/0
n2ic@longs.att.com