GAS

Subject: GAS
From: Waltk@PICA.ARMY.MIL (Waltk@PICA.ARMY.MIL)
Date: Wed Jul 13 16:59:42 1994
K1AR's questions of what we want to see in the annual CQ contesting survey
arrived last week here on Inet. I gave it considerable thought and penned,
what, IMHO, I thought were pertinent issues. One of them being what to do
about guys/gals who run with high octane. Well, that question didn't show
up in the survey. His exact question in reference to power was:
"Are you in favor of limiting transmitter output power to 100 watts for
domestic contests?" Is this a feigned attempt to address the issue?
Why should it be limited to domestic contests?

The power issue falls into the same category of single ops using packet
(when it is clearly not allowd).  Maybe there should be another contest
category grouping: Honest & Dishonest.

The ultimate insult is being beaten by someone who OBVIOUSLY uses high
octane and actually brags about it on the air.  Their reputation is so
well known that it has become general knowledge, it has become part of
the local scuttlebutt.  ANY abuses of the rules truly diminish the whole
idea of why we do this thing called contesting. We don't pursue this
aspect of the hobby for simply a piece of wood or paper.

We've been talking alot about level playing fields the last few months.
Before we do move ahead why don't we get our own house in order first.
Lets start by trying to impress on the new hams, the new prospective
competitors, that winning isn't worth a damn if you cheat. My $0.02.

                     73 de Walt Kornienko - K2WK (FRC)
waltk@pica.army.mil  K2WK > W2JT or K2WK@N2ERH.NJ.USA.NOAM