W5WMU and LOUDNESS

Subject: W5WMU and LOUDNESS
From: Steven.M.London@att.com (Steven.M.London@att.com)
Date: Thu Jul 14 16:33:00 1994
I am quite ambivalent on this subject.  For years, I have thought that W5WMU
was just TOO loud for any antenna system.  I enjoyed reading K5GA's
description of Pat's antenna farm.  Very impressive.  However, after reading
Bill's e-mail twice, I noticed that a description of Pat's amplifier(s)
and an outright denial of running excessive power were missing.

On the other hand, I moved to a new QTH about a year ago.  For my first
contest season at the new QTH, all I had was a KT-34XA at 65 feet.
I quickly found out that 65 feet is at least an S-unit better
for stateside on 20 meters, than the the XA at 88 feet was at the old QTH.
In fact, I gave up trying to run W6 in the CQP
because of all the harassment I got from non-contesting W6's on 20
meter SSB about how I "must be running illegal power", because they never
heard a signal that loud before.  Colorado to W6 is a perfect 1-hop distance
on 20 meters, just as W5WMU to anywhere east of the Rockies is a perfect
1-hop distance.

In summary, a year ago, I thought of W5WMU as one of those "shady characters".
Now I'm not so sure I should be so accusatory.

Steve London, N2IC/0
n2ic@longs.att.com