The black hole moves south (NAQP)

Subject: The black hole moves south (NAQP)
From: rrrocker@rock.b11.ingr.com (Ray Rocker)
Date: Wed Aug 24 16:12:41 1994
Bleh. I was hoping for better, but...

for WQ5L (Alabama):

Band  QSOs Mults
----------------
10m    33    14
15m    10     7
20m    95    39
40m    98    34
80m    32    17
160m    1     1
Total 269 x 112  == 30,128

It looked so promising right at the start -- nice 10m sporadic E opening
centered on 2 and 3 land. I'm thinking, "yeah! I can break 400 Qs at
this rate!". Hah. Moved down to 15m after a while and no one's home.

Got distracted helping a guy get his BBS running after that.
Came back around 2200Z, battle plan says be on 20m at this time.
Europe was LOUD, but no short skip at all! All I hear is west coast.

40m was ok propagation wise, but there just weren't many folks on.
Calling CQ wasn't doing much so I multiplier hunted, remembering to
turn AF gain down when going by 7205 (how many megawatts is Radio Moscow
using on that channel anyway?)

20m came alive around 0200Z, oddly enough. Short skip into 8/9 land was
loud, very short skip to FL and Carolinas, and the 6s and 7s were still
there. Nice spread of mults.

As for 80m, I'm just too weak there. Congrats to the 32 who struggled
to pull me out of the QRN, I know it wasn't easy. And also the one who
erroneously decided I was a dupe, costing me a multiplier. :-(

States missed entirely: Maine, Tennessee (!!!), Mississippi, Oklahoma,
Hawaii, Montana, Nebraska, South Dakota. And only 2 QSOs with Georgia --
under 1% of total -- very unusual.

73

-- ray WQ5L rrrocker@ingr.com