POWER SURGE PROTECTOR

Subject: POWER SURGE PROTECTOR
From: bill.lumnitzer@paonline.com (bill.lumnitzer@paonline.com)
Date: Tue Aug 30 12:43:52 1994
I installed surge protectors in my main breaker panel a few years ago
and have had no problems or damage since, despite some pretty good
lightning storms which have damaged several neighbors' electronics.

My question is, should they be connected to the LOAD or LINE side of
the main breakers.  I connected mine on the Load side after turning off
the main breakers temporarily. I reasoned that since the devices' failure
mode is to short circuit, they should trip the main breakers upon failure.

If they were connected to the LINE side, between the meter and main breakers
(requiring the power company to disconnect the mains first) then they would
NOT trip the main breakers upon failure, right?

Any comments?

73 de Bill, N6CQ/3  (n6cq@paonline.com)