K4VX GUY WIRE ARTICLE

Subject: K4VX GUY WIRE ARTICLE
From: bill.lumnitzer@paonline.com (bill.lumnitzer@paonline.com)
Date: Wed Aug 31 18:21:42 1994

 Fi> You probably all saw the article by Lew Gordon in QST that basically
 Fi> said you don't need to break up guy wires.  This was according to some
 Fi> NEC modeling that Lew had done.

 Fi> 73
 Fi>
 Fi> -!-
 Fi> Bill Fisher, KM9P

I think that the particular configuration of antennas and guy wire lengths
that K4VX used may have been compatible without breaking up the guy wires.

The non-resonant lengths we use from the Antenna Book tables are for
ungrounded half waves. If the wire is grounded, then its resonances are
harder to determine because the tower is then part of the circuit to ground.
The guy wires may or may not have troublesome resonances and the way I would
find out is to check for resonances using a dip-meter or K6STIs GUY program.
Even "non-resonant" lengths can affect a particular antenna sometimes if the
antenna is very close to the wire.  The solution is to increase the spacing,
change the wire length, or replace part of the wire with Phillystran.

73 de Bill, N6CQ/3  (n6cq@paonline.com)