AG6K AMP MODS

Subject: AG6K AMP MODS
From: bill.lumnitzer@paonline.com (bill.lumnitzer@paonline.com)
Date: Thu Sep 1 11:28:30 1994
I have a couple of amplifier mod kits put together by Rich Measures,
AG6K that I have been trying to get around to installing in my two
AL-1200s.  But the latest QST contains a rebuttal to one of AG6Ks
articles by some guys from Ameritron and Eimac who dispute Richs
techniques for stabilizing amplifiers. They say to forget using
Nichrome wire plate chokes to reduce VHF/UHF circuit Q.

Can any of the amplifier gurus out there comment on this? Should I
install the new chokes or not? I've had a few bangs out of these amps
and don't wish to risk damaging the tubes!

73 de Bill, N6CQ/3  (n6cq@paonline.com)

P.S.: A little off topic but can anyone explain why commercial mains
standard freq is 60Hz here but 50Hz in many other countries? Does the
freq have to do with avoiding flicker in lighting?

From: sellington" <sellington@mail.ssec.wisc.edu (sellington)
Subject: ICE telno etc.

I like the way their low pass filter is built, but the coaxial lightning
suppressor I bought was disappointing.  While their literature claims
the suppressor element is a heavy-duty ceramic unit, inside I found a little
glass bulb about the size of an NE-2, with about 24 gauge leads.  I never
bothered to install it, and should just send it back.

Scott  K9MA
sellington@mail.ssec.wisc.edu

>From Peter G. Smith" <n4zr@netcom.com  Thu Sep  1 16:09:52 1994
That was some article!  In my limited experience, when QST runs something
like that there's usually a fairly painful story behind it.  In this
instance, I was struck by how "fierce" and pretty direct some of the
comments were, and by the absence of any counter-comments by AG6K
himself.  If I were QST, I think I would at least have offered the
opportunity to do so, and explained that I had done so -- particularly in
view of the direct shots by one of the commenters implying that AG6K was
cooking up non-existent problems in order to sell his mod kits.

73, Pete
N4ZR@netcom.com
"Better, faster,cheaper -- choose any two"

From: sellington" <sellington@mail.ssec.wisc.edu (sellington)

It's hard to believe AG6K is really making any money on those mod kits, so
I doubt he's intentionally dreaming up non-existant problems.  Perhaps
he's experimentally found some things that seem to work, without really
understanding what's going on.

Scott  K9MA
sellington@mail.ssec.wisc.edu