ARRL Bureaucracy

Subject: ARRL Bureaucracy
From: popyackl@ers.rl.af.mil (Leonard J Popyack, Jr.)
Date: Wed Sep 7 09:18:19 1994
On Tue, 6 Sep 94 12:29:12 EDT, Scott Sminkey - Sustaining Eng Group wrote:

>>The ARRL Membership Services Committee (MSC), in response to input from
>>League members, has voiced their oppostion to changing contest dates to
>>avoid conflicts with conventions or hamfests.
>
>Well, how about that! I wrote a long letter months ago to Dave Sumner at
>ARRL headquarters and he said he'd pass my comments along to the "capable
>hands in the Membership Services department". After many months of
[stuff deleted]

Well, the MSC seems to get things done.  I wrote to ARRL Prez Wilson
about something over a year ago with no response!  I don't expect ever
to get one.  However my director (Hugh Turnbul) has had 150% response!
How bureaucratic is the ARRL? From my own experience, I find that the
ARRL can get specialized services done well (contests, QST publishing,
QSL cards, etc) but when it comes to legal, moral, or controversial
issues, many times it gets "lost" (ignored) in the system.  This may
be a result of bureaucracy, but more often it is a result of one (or
a few) incompetent people.  Overall, I think the ARRL does a good job,
but there are still some issues that get "lost" (either by incompetence
or by policy) in the system.  I have some stories to tell, and someday
I will tell them.  Not today.  73 Len Popyack WF2V