ANCHORS - SCREW-IN vs EXPANDING

Subject: ANCHORS - SCREW-IN vs EXPANDING
From: N6ZZ@aol.com (N6ZZ@aol.com)
Date: Sat Sep 10 08:51:55 1994
After reviewing responses to my screw-in guy anchor query, I decided to
install some heavy screw-ins.  Instead of the ones that Rohn sells, which are
4-foot long & have a 6-inch diameter plate, I went for 6-footers with an
8-inch plate.

Two very strong guys (thankfully, I wasn't one of 'em)  spent an hour trying
to install anchor #1.  They got it in about 4 feet, and ran into some rock.
 By this time, they did not look at all like the smiling workers pictured in
the Rohn catalog installing one of their anchors!  Another half-hour of
effort to install, including use of two 5-foot bars to increase torque on the
screw-in, succeeded in bending the 1-inch shaft of the anchor!

After the guys went away (and they were real crabby), I found a company that
installs poles for the utility companies in this area, and asked 'em if they
used machines to install screw-in anchors.   They said that they don't use
screw-ins in this area at all because of the rocks in the soil!

They use what's called an expanding anchor.  They drill a hole through the
soil (or, in my case, rock) just big enough to admit the un-expanded anchor
to whatever depth the anchor is going to be installed at.  The anchor & rod
are placed into the hole, and then they use another rod to pound on the
anchor which makes it expand into undisturbed soil.  The anchor looks like a
flower bud when it's unexpanded, and then when they expand it, it flattens
out and sticks into the surrounding soil.  Then, the hole is filled and
tamped.

This outfit installed 3 anchors in one hour and charged me $300 total for
anchors and labor.  The drill was on a tractor-type device that could get
into fairly tight areas and left only moderate dents in the lawn.

I think I should have made the second phone call first----thanks for your
input!

                       Phil - N6ZZ                          N6ZZ@AOL.COM