Contest Excuse Quotient

Subject: Contest Excuse Quotient
From: n6xi@tss.com (n6xi@tss.com)
Date: Sun Sep 11 17:24:39 1994
The recent traffic on radio vs. spouses prompts me to suggest the following:

With the contest season starting up, perhaps we need a new performance metric -
the Contest Excuse Quotient, to be included in all contest score listings:

  You get 1 point per minute lost due to a reparable equipment problem during
  the contest.  Irreparable problems are 100 points if there is a redundant item
  available, else 250 points.

  Tower climbing counts 3 points per foot (US only) within 6 hours of contest
  start and 5 points per foot during the contest.  Outside the US it is 10 and
15
  points per meter.  Per metre in the UK.

  You get 100 points for being married and another 100 if your spouse is in
  town on a contest weekend.  If you or your spouse delivers a baby during the
  contest, count 500 points.  Kids under 12 are worth 50 points each for
  existence and presence.  Teenagers are worthless.

  Cold: 100 points per sinus blocked throughout the contest plus 100 points
  per box of tissue.  Flu:  100 points per degree F over normal (200 points
  per degree C).  Broken bone:  200 points except in sending hand which counts
  400 points or off-hand 300 points (for computer loggers only).
  Doctor visits 500 points if your return before end of contest, 1000 points
  if hospitalized.  Life-threatening illness contracted and diagnosed during
  contest or 3 days prior, 3000 points (doctor's affidavit required).

  Power failure during contest: 10 points per hour (100 points per hour in
  NA Sprint).  Line noise: 2 points per dB over noise floor per hour (20/hour
  in Sprint).

  New RFI complaints: 1 point per dollar of threatened lawsuit.  Complaints
  that don't threaten suit or from previously encountered pre-litigants don't
  count.

  Bad conditions count 10 points per dB below normal of the average of all the
  14.100 beacon stations iff they hurt you more than your buddy because of the
  nature of your equipment, antennas, operating style or habits of personal
hygiene.

  100 point bonus if you travelled at least 1000 miles away from home during
the 3
  days prior to the contest or if you worked (at your job) more than 80 hours in
  the prior week.

  Each doorbell or telephone call you respond to during the contest is 5 points
  unless it is an RFI complaint which is covered under separate rule above.  ...

Contest Excuse Quotients (XQs) are used as follows:

  Adjusted Gross Score = Raw Score * (1 + XQ/1000)

All score listings in the magazines are by AGS.  Raw Score may be reported if
space permits and there is lots of advertising in the current issue.  Contest
sponsors are encouraged to establish categories such as Single Operator/No
Excuse, Multi Operator/Mega Excuses, etc.  Top XQ boxes will be published in
the sponsoring journals.  NCJ can sponsor an annual Max Cumulative Excuses
award.  CT, NA and TR will require modification to track Real-Time Excuse
Accumultion and to calculate and display AGS.

We will need the following new Q Signals:

  QXQ?      "What is your excuse?"
  QXQ nnnn  "My excuse quotient is nnnn."
  QXQ 0     "No excuse, Sir."

So, what's your excuse?