N4OGW Sprint

Subject: N4OGW Sprint
From: n4ogw@uiuc.edu (Rudolf Torsten Clay)
Date: Mon Sep 12 20:54:55 1994
N4OGW/9 CW Sprint:

80:   73
40:   94
20:   63
-------------
      230 X 38 = 8,740

Team: Dead Lizards

Lots of fun...running 700W and 40m dipole.  Surprised that I got out as well as
I did on 80m with a 1/2 size antenna.

Torsten n4ogw@uiuc.edu

From: Tim Totten, KJ4VH" <kj4vh@iglou.com (Tim Totten, KJ4VH)
Subject: Let's Hear it Officially....

On 12 Sep 1994, Steve London, N2IC, wrote:

> Okay K3EST, KR2Q, K1AR and all you other CQWW log checkers out there, I want
> to know exactly what you are going to enforce for M/S for CQWW 1994:

<good questions abt 10-min rule deleted>

While we're looking for clarifications...

Was there ever an official policy statement regarding the use of
individual operator's call signs to solicit QSOs in a multi-op?

Someone raised the question after at least one M/S allegedly did this
last year.  The topic came up agn this wknd at the W9DXCC convention, and
no one knew if it had been resolved officially.

I'll attempt to illustrate with a fictional (so far) scenario:

Assume I'm part of a M/S team at VP2MU.  The "run" stn is cranking 'em
out on 15 (using the VP2MU call, of course).  I'm sitting at the "mult"
stn, but instead of tuning the band and working all the new mults I can
find, I call CQ with my personal call (VP2MDH), then when a new mult
shows up, I say, "O.K., now I'm VP2MU.  You're 59 08."

Or maybe I just tune across a stn which is not a new mult on 20, but
would be a mult on 15 (the run band).  Can I call the stn as VP2MDH, then
say, "Hey, can you pse call VP2MU right now on 21214?"

I'm sure there are several similar scenarios where a M/S or M/M op might
be tempted to work stns with his or her personal call to solicit a QSO
for the multi-op call.  Indeed, it appears these techniques were used by
at least one serious multi-op team last year, and they "got away with it."

So my question is, will the committee accept these techniques this
year?  If so, does the contesting community really feel this is
desirable?  Is there some reason the CQ WW rules don't include a clause
requiring only one call sign be used?  Should one be considered for 1995?

  Tim Totten, KJ4VH                   kj4vh@iglou.com
  Kentucky Contest Group          Fax +1-502-239-7766