CQ WW propagation

Subject: CQ WW propagation
From: WmHein@aol.com (WmHein@aol.com)
Date: Thu Nov 3 04:07:58 1994
WX3N/0 (@K4VX) said with regard to last weekend's contest:

"Interesting how the propagation was very selective, i.e.  on 10 I often
could barely hear caribbean stations while K9SD and other St. Louis area
stations about 2 hours south blew me away in the pile-ups. Occasionally the
propagation would shift, the signals jump to moving the S-meter and I would
go right through."

I noticed this phenomena as well.  Seemed more pronounced than in previous
years.  I heard N7DD (Tucson AZ) work LU4FM on 160m but could not hear even a
trace of the Argentine.  About 2 minutes later, however, I started to copy
LU4FM just in time for him to QSY to another band.

I also had immense difficulty copying 4U49UN on 160m -- surprising because
the UN HQ is usually a "one call" QSO from Colorado -- and it seemed that the
Denver/Boulder area stations had significantly better copy.  Of course, 5
minutes after I worked 'UN, they were a solid 59.  Conversely, I heard
several 160m DX stations extremely well that N7DD and the eastern Colorado
stations seemed to have trouble copying.  Again, I have noticed this
propagation phenomena on 160m in past years, but never to such an extent.

73,
Bill AA6TT
Tiffany, Colorado
wmhein@aol.com