SS Low Power Score, Calling on Frequency, Buying Better Filters

Subject: SS Low Power Score, Calling on Frequency, Buying Better Filters
From: cclemons@bridgew.edu (Cyndy Clemons)
Date: Mon Nov 7 21:16:58 1994
The weekend started out poorly, as I got very little sleep Friday night
while fighting the most painful stomach virus I've ever had occasion to meet.
(My wife had it five days earlier, but I didn't worry because I never catch
such things...)  By 21:00 Saturday, I was only exhausted and feeling queasy -
the worst was over.  Besides, it had been 8 years since my last real SS
operation, and I really didn't want to miss it.  Even with propagation less
than expected, I am glad I battled the physical problems.  Oh yes, my keyer
also died with 3 hours to go, but that was relatively minor!

I chose to use paper logs, since I can't type fast enough to keep up with 35
wpm code.  (You might find it hard to believe that I work as a software
engineer, but it's true!)  I also won't be able to dupe them until next
weekend, since I have to spend every spare minute this week preparing this
week's college lectures (part-time job) which I would have prepared Saturday
morning had I not been sick.  Anyway, enough excuses - the raw score follows
(my past experience indicates 1 or 2% of the contacts will be dupes/broken
calls):

                749 x 72 sections      Low Power       E MA section

Observations:

Propagation sure was strange.  It was great in the first couple hours, then
suddenly went bad.  However, the night bands were wide open (with weak signals).
I don't think I ever worked W6 stations at 01:00 on 40m and 03:00 on 80m before.
I couldn't believe how many QRP stations worked me.  These guys sure have their
work cut out for them in the low sunspot years.  20 never seemed to fully open
on Sunday.  Of the five missing sections, four are normally considered "givens"
from E MA. I never heard KL7 or VE5, and didn't hear KH6 until it was so late
(weak signals) that I couldn't track him up the band (he was S&P'ing).  I
worked W7s galore, but none from E WA (where were they)?  VE8/VY1 was the
other missed section.

Regarding Zero Beating When Answering CQs:

I am also one of the people who run the CW filter really tight (TS-930).
Unlike the DX contests, where my antennas are aimed away from all the strong
U.S. stations, I find the QRM to be unbearable if I don't.  In the early 80's
I read an interesting article by K1GQ in the YCCC Scuttlebutt, where he stated
that his success in the previous CQ WW (#1 in the U.S.) was in large part due
to careful zero beating of the station he was calling.  I have taken this to
heart, and over the years have found that I frequently will beat stronger
high power stations in DX pileups when I am running 100 watts.  I have proven
that it works, and strongly back up Bill's point.  Yes, it does get more
difficult as you get tired, but you just have to add that to the list of things
to train yourself to handle during fatigue periods.

Regarding Buy Better Filters:

The remark made about "paying lots of money to be wide" at first sounds
arrogant, but I rather imagine it was a reaction to some contest-hater
"policeman".  You all know the type - they come crawling out of the woodwork
during the big contests.  I know its easy to overdrive the mike during periods
of excitement, but I've been told that I am too wide when my yagi is 90
degrees away from the offended station, my processor is turned down, and I am
only running 100 watts.  Even better, I was told last year that I was
interfering with a certain net on 20 meters.  I asked the person what frequency
they were on so that I could move in the opposite direction.  He wouldn't tell
me, so I didn't move.  Come to find out later, I was a full 10 khz away
(again running 100 watts).  People like that tend lose their credibility.  I
choose to ignore them, perhaps others make remarks like the one mentioned.

At the end of the contest, and on the basis of how awful I felt, I decided
that I would never enter a SS again.  I fully expect to feel this way for
three more days.  See you all on SS Phone!  (Aren't contests great?)

73, Dave Clemons K1VUT

p.s.  Will somebody who reads this give me Trey's direct e-mail address?  The
college changed our address a day before they promised, so I am now being
forwarded a copy from the old address, and have subscribed using the new address
so that I can put messages onto the net.  I'm sure he can fix the problem with
a little manual work - I can't unsubscribe the old address since it doesn't
agree with the new one.  Thanks.