AA6TT/AA5B 80 m ARRL DX

Subject: AA6TT/AA5B 80 m ARRL DX
From: AA5BANANA@aol.com (AA5BANANA@aol.com)
Date: Mon Feb 20 12:58:32 1995
Invited myself to AA6TT's Colorado station for another educational
weekend.  I've never operated 80 m seriously from stateside
during a DX contest, and this seemed like a good opportunity
to start learning a new band.

Station:  4-square array, elevated quarter-waves of Rohn 45.
          FT1000, Alpha 87A.

Final numbers:  320 Qs x 61 countries = 58 k

First night was fairly fun.  Reasonably good European signals
from the start (more than an hour before our sunset) until
just after their sunrise.  Couldn't get any of them to answer
my CQs, but didn't have too much trouble getting through to the
big contest stations. I could hear almost NONE of the Europeans that
answered the CQs from the big east coast stations.  The
JAs started showing up an hour before their sunset and stayed
steady until an hour after our sunrise.  Rates never high,
but ran over 200 of 'em the first night.  Signals weren't
great, though . . . I bet 50% of the guys I worked wouldn't
have moved the S-meter even if I'd had the AGC turned on (and I
couldn't have worked 'em with AGC - another tip from the reflector!).
No second radio, but worked the FT1000's second rcvr pretty hard
during the JA runs -- worked 20 or 30 extra guys and a few mults.

Second night was slow.  Condx didn't seem too bad, but I
worked only 68 guys in 14 hours.  I drove 2x220 miles for this?!

Not a bad weekend, however.  Learned a lot, and beat W0ZV's
tenth-call-area 80 m record by about 20%.  The 4-square seems to
work very well.

Next weekend . . . another learning experience.  Going to do the
160 phone contest for the first time.

       -Bruce  AA5B