Sprints vs. CQ WW

Subject: Sprints vs. CQ WW
From: johnp@pc16.idcg.com (johnp@pc16.idcg.com)
Date: Wed Feb 22 14:53:02 1995
Well, I was going to stay out of this thread but Gene's message "outed" me:

 The Sprints are the best gauge of domestic contesting ability. The pool of
 people who  have come in first in the Sprints is a small group of really
talented
 operators.

CQ WW has turned into the best gauge of building a strong station, and
copying the call signs that come back when you plop down on a frequency
and stay there for hours on  end. To win takes a lot more than that - the
pool of people who have come in first in CQ WW is a small group of really
talented operators.

For CQ WW, all I need to do is copy the callsign (and I don't really need to
 do that.  Master.dta allows to me to clean up all kinds of questionable stuff)
and worry about the  few odd Russian stations that might not be in the zone
CT wants them to be in.

 In the Sprint, I have to copy every call correctly *and* a variable exchange.
 One character  off and I lose the QSO. If you get confused for 15 minutes
 in the Sprint, your shot at the top ten is gone. It is the 100 meter sprint.

  The exchange in CQ WW is meaningless, master.dta makes us basically
 immune to the  spotty log checking (compared to the Sprints) that is done.
 The major skill is being fast while being deprived of sleep - it is the Ironman
 triathalon.

  Both are contests, both take different skills. We could argue forever who's
 pee-pee is bigger, the Sprint winner or the CQ WW winner, but that is
 yesterday's news. The real question is: to remain a viable activity, should
contesting offer more outlets for those who can't, won't, or don't wanna
invest the time, energy, and money required to to be competitive in 48 hour
DX endurathons?

  Like it or not, contesting in 20 years will look more like the Sprints than
it
 will like the  CQ WW. I'm sure many here remember when the ARRL
contests stretched over multiple weekends.

 Remember: just a short time ago (looking at it on  a global scale) the
 dinosaurs  said: "Big deal, the mud is drying up. No way
 those monkeys running around in the trees will replace us."

On another note: I *don't* think Sprint scores should count towards WRTC type
stuff, unless we also count other countries's domestic shorty contests
towards making the grade.

  John Pescatore

John Pescatore WB2EKK
IDC Government