to sign or not to sign

Subject: to sign or not to sign
From: K3NA@aol.com (K3NA@aol.com)
Date: Wed Feb 22 22:43:57 1995
My recommendation:
   -- sign something after every QSO.

Some observations:

1.  Receiving "?" and working dupes is not unique to DX stations running
pileups and not signing their calls.  I operated W3LPL on 40m.  A handful of
times the CQ message would be sent, no one would answer, but I would hear a
"?".  Everytime I bothered to send my call again the station would melt away
(obviously a dupe).
   Having been guilty of this myself in the past, I know exactly what has
happened:  Someone S&Ping tunes in just in time to catch the last fraction of
the call, and wants to tease out the rest.
   New policy (takes some training): If no one answers with a callsign, just
punch the CQ button again (if running).

2.  Strangely, the failure of a DX station to sign their call seems more
endemic to phone contests, where time is less of an issue.  Some DX operators
claim that not signing the call keeps the phone pileup manageable... but they
must be oblivious to the crows which cluster around the frequency yelling
"Caw... Caw... What's your caw?".  If the pileup is too large, there are many
other remedies (move frequency, reduce power, talk faster, call districts,
etc).

3.  Concerned about time on CW (or phone)?  Drop the pleasant "TU" and just
use your call to wrap up the QSO.  Send it faster if you want (it's not as
friendly, but people will decode it eventually and a fast callsign is better
than not signing at all).  And a quick callsign is a great tool in
synchronizing the pileup.  Keeping the pileup synchronized minimizes the
number of people who are transmitting on top of the DX station, reduces
confusion, and keeps the rate up.
   And it's pretty amazing how fast one can go.  I have had rates of over
360/hour on phone, signing in phonetics after every QSO "Papa Juliet Nine
Juliet Romeo".  (Of course, I spent two weeks working license plates in
traffic jams before the contest, just to increase my ability to rattle off
QSOs automatically and not get tongue tied.)

4.  For dreadful calls, at least sign a part of the call: "3DA" instead of
"3DA/WB3AJQ" after every QSO will give a big hint to most listeners.  Sign
the full callsign every 3rd QSO.

5.  Not the DX station?  Tuned into a pileup and the center of attention has
not signed his call?  Don't send a mere "?".  Dump in your callsign!  When he
comes back to you, DON'T send him the exchange right away.  Instead,
innocently ask for his call: "CL?"  He will send it, because now he is hooked
for completing the QSO.
   When you hear the callsign, if the station is a dupe, just disappear
quietly from the frequency.  The DX station, if he hasn't figured out that
you're a dupe already, will waste some more time trying to get your exchange.
   And, of course, if the station is not a dupe, you can now complete the QSO
by sending your exchange.
   If enough people did this, the DX stations would be more rigorous about
signing their callsigns often!

-- Eric
K3NA, alias W3LPL, W4BVV, W3FA, F6BEE, YK0A, TM2Y, 4U1ITU, 3D2XX, PJ9JR,
P42E, VK9NT, VK9LT, AH3C/KH5K, FO0XX, S79WHW, BY1PK, OH0MM, and a few other
calls necessitating a little pileup management...