numeric abbreviations

Subject: numeric abbreviations
From: JFSINGER@delphi.com (JFSINGER@delphi.com)
Date: Wed Mar 1 23:55:06 1995
>>AA3JU sez:

>>Oh yes and in MARS circles both ROGER and WILCO are appropriate
prowords.

>>K0OD sez:
>> 100% of the time. It belongs only in old movies along with "roger
willco."

>This brings up one of my big pet-peeves.  If someone asks you to confirm ur
>callsign, information, etc., on phone, say ROGER, or if condx are poor, a
>series of ROGERS.  This is much more effective than saying "QSL", which is
>something that comes through the bureau.
>I don't know why this "QSL"  habit lingers.
      N5RZ   N5RZ@aol.com

"Roger and Wilco are appropriate prowords." That certainly explains
everything. Imagine some poor Bulgarian trying to figure out what we're
talking about. I don't know what a proword is, and neither does my
dictionary.
     Come on guys. Five doesn't sound very much like nine. In the real world
most people just say "yes" or "OK", rather than QSL, or roger, or
affirmative, or (gasp) "10-4". In fact, okay may be the most understood word
in the whole world, which probably expains why the military doesn't use it.
     And we're playing radio, not giving landing instructions to a B-52 full
of nukes.

                  Jeff K0OD      jfsinger@delphi.com