EXTERNAL FRONT-END PROTECTION

Subject: EXTERNAL FRONT-END PROTECTION
From: BillK5GA@aol.com (BillK5GA@aol.com)
Date: Fri Apr 7 12:03:38 1995
I would like to poll the group here to see if anyone has any ideas or
circuits which could be put external to our tranceivers to protect the
front-ends. When operating multi-op and/or using stacked antennas, rf
problems can be severe and expensive to fix.

I'm thinking of something to put in-line which would give its life instead of
the sensitive transistors/diodes/attenuators inside the transceiver. It would
be much easier to change out and would be ultimately much cheaper to fix.

I am now focussing on overseas operations, some single-op and some multi-op.
When travelling with expensive and heavy transceivers, I really don't want to
have to haul them back and forth to keep the front-ends repaired!!!

I do not feel that ICE bandpass filters and/or stubs are the real answer. I
remember when Yaesu put neon bulbs in line. Could this be the way to do it or
are the discretes too fast nowadays for that cheap-o fix???

I will summarize to the public the results for all who are interested.

73,

Mr. Bill   K5GA

From: David Musselwhite <ve8nc@gov.nt.ca> (David Musselwhite)
Subject: No subject

SUBSCRIBE 425 DX NEWS

From: Richard Riley (G0JFX)" <RRILEY%ESA.BITNET@vm.gmd.de (Richard Riley
(G0JFX))
Subject: this frequency is in use!

Peter Casier (ON6TT) wrote:

>>> You know what bothers me in a contest? Guys coming right on your working
>>> frequency and starting 'CQ contest, CQ contest,...'.

Can't let this go by without commenting....

I had the pleasure of sharing a few beers in the company of Dave Lawley (G4BUO)
a few weeks back...

While chatting about the ARRL DX (SSB) contest at TM5G...I mentioned a similar
problem I had with a certain East Coaster.

**(Intermission)**

** In these cases I never let a point or two slip by...I work the guy politely
** and then ask him to "move on".

** This "general" attitude pays off...during the "Coupe de REF" an "American"
** came up to say "turn it down man you're WIDE!"

** "sorry!" I replied and asked the chap to hang around while I backed things
** off in order that he could re-check my side-bands...

** A few seconds later he was back...happier with the size of my signal...
** I asked him for some contest points...he was a MULT a KL7!

** So I suppose the moral is "be polite on the air...IT COULD HELP YOU WIN!"

..right back to main theme....

So I pop up 5Hz and put in my call...

he calls again....

"Tango Mike Fiiiiive Germany!"

nout...

(is there anyone on the East Coast that DIDN'T hear TM5G during ARRL SSB?)

.the guy didn't respond...just kept calling..making 0 QSOs ...

"autorepeat"?....maybe

I dropped down 5Hz and carried on...squeezing QSOs out from behind his racket..

..after a good 30 minutes he went away...I carried on and forgot about it.....

until I mentioned it to Dave...

The THING is....Dave had the SAME problem with SAME guy....during the CW leg!
TWO WEEKS EARLIER!!

I don't make a point of noting these people's calls...
or get worked up about these "isolated" incidents...
nor do I play the net policeman harassing ops for "bad" practice

we are human after all and some of us aint perfect!!  :-)

BUT....

I just happened to mention this call to a fellow contester and he says
ME TOO!  Is this just coincidence or does this East Coaster do this all
the time?

Dave said that he spoke with the guys at CQ and that they would be
"on the look-out" during the SSB leg.
He suggested that I add a complaint to the TM5G entry...unfortunately
it had already been sent in.

To how many other people has this guy caused problems?

How many of these "guys" are there out there?
...ie..is this a BIG problem?

and if it is,
how can we "scare" these "guys" away from reverting to this sort of behaviour?

disqualification?....should a certain number of complaints be received?

..do we need a Complaints Committee at ARRL/CQ?

Your thoughts please....

73

Richard
G0JFX/F5VCO

PS: My sole interest is FUN contesting with zero animosity...ie...I don't
    wanna start a name calling thing here...!!:-)

email:  rriley%esa.bitnet@vm.gmd.de
packet: G0JFX@N0ARY