KA5WSS GridLoc '95

Subject: KA5WSS GridLoc '95
From: barron@liant.com (Robert Barron)
Date: Wed Apr 12 10:40:34 1995
Sorry for the delay.  I think my score will have to be revised
somewhat.  Still have to go through and remove any bad QSOs.

    Callsign Used : KA5WSS
         Category : Single Op Phone Only
 Default Exchange : Robert EM10

   40SSB      27          27         27      19
   20SSB     324         324        324     105
   15SSB      53          53         53      21
   10SSB      14          14         14       9
 Totals      418         418        418     154

    Final Score = 64372 points.

Obviously 20M was THE band.  I might have worked more people
on 40M if I had gotten there sooner and not taken a rest
break.  Trying to explain the contest to people is tiring!
On the whole conditions were terrible.  Next year could only
be better.

A quick glance at the log indicates that over half of the
contacts generated grids.  The ops either knew their grid or
could provide enough information so that it could be determined.
An ARRL grid map was helpful for those stations that wanted to
give me their longitude and latitude.  Before the next running I
need to find a small but accurate highway map of each state with
longitude and latitude on it (about the size of a road atlas
booklet).  That would have helped with a lot of new mults.

Who says Novices and Techs don't know their grids.  I think 10M
might have the highest percentage of contacts where a valid
grid was part of the exchange.

My two fastest hours were in the 52 to 54 QSO range,  both on
20M of course.  Nothing else came close.  If grids did not
count as multipliers on every band I never would have ventured
onto 15M and 10M.

Despite the conditions the contest was fun and tiring.  I hope
the conditions cooperate next year.  Please remember to send
GridLoc logs to George (WB5VZL) at geoiii@bga.com.  With
conditions like last weekend we need all of the logs we can
get.  By the way did anyone outside of North America work the
contest?

73,

Robert Barron, KA5WSS                 barron@liant.com
Liant Software Corporation            Hook 'Em Horns!