4U calls

Subject: 4U calls
From: ve2zp@bbs.ve3jf.ampr.org (ve2zp@bbs.ve3jf.ampr.org)
Date: Thu Apr 27 03:21:47 1995
Paul: 4U calls are those issued under the authority of the United Nations.
4U1UN is in New York, 4U1ITU is in Geneva and 4U1VIC is in Vienna, all in
installations under UN control.  The 4U/ stations on peacekeeping duties in
Haiti, Bosnia, the Golan Heights and elsewhere are operating under UN
authority, rather than the authority of the Haitian, Bosnian or Syrian
governments.  4U-prefixed stations can be almost anywhere, but they are more
likely to be in trouble spots where local authorities have better things to do
than licence hams, so they're usually well worth chasing.
73, Dave VE2ZP/VE9CB
Packet: VE2ZP@VA3TCP.#EON.ON.CAN.NOAM
InterNet: ve2zp@va3tcp.ampr.org