A Journey (further) Into the Black Hole

Subject: A Journey (further) Into the Black Hole
From: SPECK@UANSV3.Vanderbilt.Edu (SPECK@UANSV3.Vanderbilt.Edu)
Date: Thu Jun 8 12:56:59 1995
What I did on my summer vacation!!                   CQ WORLD WIDE WPX CONTEST
1995

      Call: W9UP (K0EJ, op)          Country:  United States (111)
      Mode: CW                       Category: Single Operator Single Band

      BAND     QSO   QSO PTS  PTS/Q PREFIXES
       20     1090     1712   1.6      548
      --------------------------------------
      Totals   1090     1712   1.6      548  =   938,176

Equipment Description:
 IC-751 ->HB 4-1000 amp -> Tribander at 130'

A family reunion in late May provided me with an opportunity to go back to
"God's Country" in SE Minnesota (land of 10,000 lakes and 10" mosquitos).  I
don't travel much in this job compared to previous duty (I've travelled all
over and seen a lot, mostly thru a periscope) so the idea of getting out of
the office was quite appealing. Both of my kids were still in school so my
wife and kids elected to stay in Tenn. and I drove solo to MN. Although not a
contest I usually operate, knowing that CW WPX was that weekend got me think-
ing, maybe a gracious local OR maybe... W0AIH!(abt 60 miles away).  I swapped
a few e-mails with Mike (N0BSH) and AIH looked like a possibility.  I talked
to the Reverend who indicated that he expected a multi-something that weekend-
I was psyched! Got to MN and had lunch with Scott (KA9FOX) and Mike (BSH). FOX
indicated that if AIH fell thru, W9UP might be available.  To make a long
story short, AIH fell thru due special circumstances (thanks much anyway Paul)
Scott (FOX) got me all set up at W9UP, simple but effective, a Superstation
compared to my typical operations. The change in weather gave me a cold (a
gross understatement) but this is a CONTEST! The goal was 1000 Qs, 500 Mults
and 1 Meg operating 20M SOHP.
The contest itself was FUN, except for my cold. I should've used more than a
few aspirin! 90/77/50 Qs in the first 3 hours. Mostly US but some polar and SA
with VK/ZL/JA during the 2nd and 3rd hours.  Crashed in pain at 0446 with 272
Qs, 180 Mults.  Saturday started at 0955 with VS6WO and a slow trickle of EU.
The rate picked up a little at 1145 but DX signals were all very weak, few
moved the S-meter above the noise, noise? what are these thunderstorms doin??
Rates were low all day, peaking at 57 at 12-1300Z but as low as 13. Still
thought I was doing OK but working KI1G at 1307Z (his #503 vs my 360) was a
good reality check. A lot of CQing and S&P netted 866/474 at 0436Z when I
quit for the day, in agony. Asked myself several times if this is FUN???
Sunday started at 1145Z, felt a little better. Sunday was a about the same as
Saturday, signals were a little better but rate a little lower, peaking at 43.
Heard K0IJL both mornings working JAs that I couldn't hear. Not sure why. I
checked LP, SP, skew path, nada. Planned on quitting at 2100Z to have dinner
with a long lost uncle I hadn't seen in years (after all, this is ONLY a
contest!). As luck would have it, the rate magically picked up at 2100Z. Quit
at 2110Z after 10 Qs in 10 minutes and 7 new mults, mostly EU. GROAN!!!
Closed up the station, saved the log, walked out of the station to a cold
drizzle and a FLAT TIRE! Broke QSO and Mult goal and I think I would've broke
1Meg had I played the last 3 hours. Boy I had FUN.  Had 2 observations:

1) My Nashville QTH is a lot like the Black Hole, a lot more than I thought!
2) These Black Hole guys are a bunch of whiners, you can win from there! (NOT!)
 What was KI1G's final score, 3.5 Meg???

A very special thank you to Mike (N0BSH), Scott (KA9FOX) and Phil (W9UP) for
a great time and for going out of their way to help!!!

                        73,
                             Mark K0EJ