VHF Rover story/sob/score/comments

Subject: VHF Rover story/sob/score/comments
From: PEMS_ST_DK@noeca.ohio.gov (PEMS_ST_DK@noeca.ohio.gov)
Date: Mon Jun 12 19:47:54 1995
The W8CAR first ever, vhf rover effort is over.

score by square:
EM99    8q x 6grids =48
Em89    9q x 4 grids=36
En80    2q x 2 grids=4  (I was tired!)
En81    8q x 6 grids=48
total=136
A fairly lame score but read on (or DEL)
Saturday: Leave Cleveland with a load of stuff for my daughter at O.U.
Rain, no, Torrential rain near Mansfield.  cover pickup with tarp.
Arrive Columbus to pick up Son, number 1 helper and strong back.
Notice that 5l beam is now 3l beam due to whipping of tarp and inertial
stupidity forces caused by tarp operator.
MORE RAIN.
stuff delivered-daughter happy-son tired-he books home to Columbus.
W8CAR almost does same BUT drives into Wayne National Forest looking for
a hill. He has topo maps with premarked spots.  He gets lost and finally
finds a stopping place to look at maps. Looking for Ridge road.----looks
at sign --it says--Ridge road and better yet: Itgoes UP!!!
He goes UP (its only a hill remember) and finds a wide spot in gravel road
near a summit that has only one layer of trees.
He sets up the mighty 5l/3l beam on the trusty 15 foot mast and fires up
(well, warms up) the 25watt Yaesu.  He hears signals and works some.
Sandwich time-this rover stuff is cool!
Leaves EM99 at 8:30p.m. local time and heads to next stop.
(I got real tired here and time is a blur but I got back to the home
grid late and operated frm EN81 on Sunday.

Now the dumb part. I had fun!!!!!!!! and I heard cw and wrked a few
Let's see now with an amp and a beam with all the elements and a higher spot
in the clear and a helper to keep me company it could almost be like
CQWW ((not really!))
I will do it again !!!
*  W8CAR pems_st_dk@noeca.ohio.gov                                 *
*  Dan Kovatch                                                     *
*  Antennas are the key - BUT an ALPHA sure doesn't hurt!          *