Pat Collins Msg

Subject: Pat Collins Msg
From: KA2AEV@aol.com (KA2AEV@aol.com)
Date: Tue Jun 13 21:09:31 1995
Please excuse Pat's previous message about W8AH. He hasn't been
feeling too good lately after the bad accident he had!

From: Frank Donovan <donovanf@sgate.com> (Frank Donovan)
Subject: optimum stacking distance

Hi Kris!

As you are probably aware, serious contesters, both HF and VHF, have been
using stacked Yagis for many years.  I've been using them myself on 40 thru
10 meters for over 20 years.

Many excellent articles have been written on the topic, one fairly recent
article is in the ARRL UHF/Microwave Experimenter's Manual (chapter 9).  It
describes the relationship between gain, beamwidth and the concept of
"effective area," often referred to as capture area in other texts.

The basic idea is that higher gain Yagis, which of necessity have
narrower beamwidth, also have larger effective areas.  In order to obtain
useful stacking gain its important that these effective areas do not
significantly overlap.

A further complication, particularly on HF, is that the individual antennas
in the stacked array inevitably have different patterns and feedpoint
impedances due to their different heights above the ground!

The best way to design a stacked Yagi array is to use an antenna
modelling computer program.  I've modelled my HF stacked Yagis for years
with W7EL's ELNEC program.  Its very easy to use, and eliminates all of
the guesswork in trying to apply rules of thumb and cut and try methods to
the design of stacked Yagis.  By the way, a new version Roy's program, EZNEC
based on the professional NEC2 code, is now available.  If you are serious
about stacked Yagi arrays, I'd suggest that you acquire an antenna modelling
program before you build and install the array!

73!
Frank
W3LPL