Helium Balloon Ants/Supports

Subject: Helium Balloon Ants/Supports
From: rkaufman@magic.mb.ca (rkaufman@magic.mb.ca)
Date: Mon Jun 19 22:16:00 1995
I have managed to get a hold of a couple of large latex balloons used for
weather
experiments. (50 inchers) We were considering using one for raising an 80 or
160
vertical in FD this weekend. W1GV (love that suffix !), has a couple of
articles in
the latest antenna supplement.We'll be using 0.030 or .035 aluminum welding
wire with
20lb test monofilament as a tether. I'm not sure what best length would be for
optimum
signal into the US (5/8th was suggested in the article) I'd be interested in
hearing the contest community's experiences with helium supported antennas.

(Ordinarily I wouldn't consider it in VE4 land but the past 6 days it has been
over
32 degrees C here with NO rain in sight. Major heat wave. With FD, we are used
having major thundershowers right in the middle of prime FD op time. This year
may
be an exception so that's why we're thinking about balloons. With our luck,
it'll be
Ben Franklin time come saturday).

Any help/suggestions would be sincerely appreciated. Look for VE4BB 3A MB this
weekend.

Rob VE4GV
rkaufman@magic.mb.ca

P.S. The "VVV" controversy on 40 m cw was not Russian beacon as first thought.
It
was actually Derrick VE4VV sending his report and making sure his call was
logged
correctly. (" That's VV VV VV not GV "(hi))