Lightning.....yawn

Subject: Lightning.....yawn
From: bill.lumnitzer@paonline.com (bill.lumnitzer@paonline.com)
Date: Wed Jun 21 18:57:41 1995

 Pa> Personally, I have never been pursuaded by the argument that you
 Pa> should ground ANYTHING for lightning protection. Why attach a nice
 Pa> healthy fat ground to a tower to ATTRACT the lightning? This
 Pa> isn't lightning protection - this is lightning ATTRACTION!

 Pa> See the case of the guy who had his tower hit every time a storm
 Pa> came by.....  saving his nieghbours from being hit!!!!!!!!!

 Pa> For this reason, I consider anybody who spends time and money
 Pa> on all this PolyPhaser garbage as wasting their time and money....
 Pa> completely!

A coworker recently had his new house struck, setting the roof on fire and
destroying the second story. He was not a ham and had no towers, trees, or other
means of "attracting" lightning.  What is the probability of his house being
struck versus one of his neighbors? Or a neighboring ham?  I presume it is
very low and he was simply unlucky. BUT - I feel very confident in stating that
IF he had a properly grounded tower/lightning rod next to his house (and Josylns
in his service panel), he would still have a roof!

After a recent conversation with my agent, I discovered that I'm eligible for
a LIGHTNING ROD DISCOUNT on
my homeowners insurance! I currently have a 120'(soon to be 140') tower (with
lightning rod) near my house that has been struck previously with NO damage.
Several of my neighbors, on the other hand, have had TV antennas and trees
struck and HAVE suffered damage. Since installing Josyln protectors in the
service panel, and ICE protectors on the coax, several storms have damaged
appliances and electronics in the neighborhood, but not in my house. I'll
keep my ground rods, thank you.

 Pa> As for the base exploding stuff .....  well, most of the towers in
 Pa> the USA are healthily guyed (you see very few free standing).
 Pa> With a guyed tower, it's not (or shouldn't be) the BASE that's keeping
 Pa> the thing up!
 Pa> _ _ _ _ _
 Pa> Paul Evans, W4/G4BKI   paul@paccomm.com  +1 (813) 874-2980

I'm not very concerned about the possibility that the base of my guyed tower
may explode since the base could be omitted and the tower would still stay up!
The concrete anchors are a different story however, and I don't care to find
out if they can explode. Each one is connected to an 8' ground rod tied radially
to the ground field (3 rods, radials, and screen) at the base of the tower.

73 Bill N6CQ/3  (n6cq@paonline.com)