Hi vs low antenna

Subject: Hi vs low antenna
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Thu Jul 6 09:30:31 1995

>A friend at FCC tells me that such a thing actually exists -- using
>interferometric techniques to identify the dominant angle of arrival.
>Unfortunately (or maybe it's just as well), it's priced in the roughly
>$800k range.
>
>73, Pete
>N4ZR@netcom.com
>"Better, faster,cheaper -- choose any two"
>"No no no -- it's WEST Virginia"
>
>On Wed, 5 Jul 1995, John KE7V wrote:
>
>> I'm still waiting for the person who will make the blackbox that
>> determines the actual angle of radiation at any moment, "arrival".

Years ago I was engaged in ionospheric research at the University of
Illinois. We used what is called an "Adcock array" which consisted of 17
loop antennas placed on 2 legs of an equilateral triangle. The system
used computer-controlled antenna switching and phase measurements. It
could even pick several signals on one frequency and give the angles of
arrival of the signals (both azimuth and elevation.)

The antennas used up a lot of real estate, and the equipment seemed
primitive by today's technology (this was 1974, we used DEC PDP-11's!)
But the cost of the system was at least what Pete mentioned above.

Probably not a good CONTEST antenna!

                                                Zack W9SZ