More SO vs SOA

Subject: More SO vs SOA
From: KR2J@aol.com (KR2J@aol.com)
Date: Thu Jul 13 11:06:08 1995

>The problem with the inflationary process of SO becoming the 'snickered at /
>down at the heels / poor relation'  to high dollar, big gun SOA,  is that it
>places severe financial and location barriers in the way of the vast
majority
>of contesters...

As one who has operated SOA in the past, I must disagree with Denny's
analysis. I prefer it to SO simply because it's easier to get a higher score
and I really enjoy the technology integration aspect of it.  (I still prefer
M/M to both SO & SOA)

In my opinion, SO is still the top, most competetive, most difficult, most
noteworthy entry class.  SOA is the "easy" way to do single op.  Granted, you
can make a big effort in SOA, but it's just easier to produce more points
when you have outside input from others.  You no longer have to worry about
being on the right band, you seldom miss multipliers that get spotted
(assuming that your station works).  You can run, run, run and Alt-F4 (CT) to
pick up all the spots that come out.

I honestly believe that a good SO operator could do SOA and make a higher
score than he could as as SO.  This is assuming that he would stick to his
normal SO strategy and use packet to augment his multiplier total as well as
gaining more information to base band changes on etc.  Getting "lost" in
chasing packet spots the whole time is not what it's all about.  Using the
technology that is available for changing to packet spot frequencies for
mults can only enhance their score.  This is a new skill that must be
mastered before doing it effectively.

Nonetheless,  a winning SO score shows a great deal of individual, personal
effort, skill, and dedication that does not necessarily go with a SOA score.
 After all, others are helping you. (me)

73,
Bob Naumann
KR2J@AOL.com